The Blog and Pony Show

Saturday, March 11, 2006

What's up with this Fly Lady thing on the side?

So a few months ago, I was looking through the BabyCenter boards and someone started talking about FlyLady.net as being a good website for housekeeping suggestions. I have never been a stellar housekeeper. The house never looked good for long because, gosh darnit, I didn't make the mess so why should I clean it? I was PISSED OFF all the time about my house looking and smelling so dreadful. So I went on the website and... Hrm. It was not what I had expected. I thought there would be schedules for cleaning and the most efficient way to get sliding glass doors clean, or keep the stove top sparkling, or how to clean the floor without actually having to do anything. You know, practical stuff. But that's not what I found.

FlyLady.net is by far, the CORNIEST website I've ever frequented. It does not jive in the least with my bitter, cynical, and scornful government lackey attitude. It's all tears, and blessings, prayers, and lovies, and testimonials that couldn't even be matched by Oprah Winfrey personally handing her left kidney to six-year-old orphan girl from Pakistan whose family of 14 lives on .52/week - not counting the camel. So why do I love it so? Because FlyLady actually teaches you that housekeeping is a lifestyle choice. If you want a clean house, you have to clean it. Or at least arrange to have it cleaned regularly. Most importantly, you're not allowed to whine about it because, hey, you're the one who wants the clean house. You can't expect the kids to care, because they're kids, and you can't expect your husband to care for much the same reason. You can't bark at your kids to go clean their rooms if you don't even know how to keep yours clean (blinding insight, huh?) And that's what it addresses: Most people know how to clean things, they just can't figure out how to keep things clean w/o killing themselves.

So after 4 months of FlyLady, does my house look perfect? Uh.. no. But it looks much better. I no longer break into an anxiety attack at the thought that someone might drop by unexpectedly and see the squalor I live in. At any given time, the house is about 15 to 20 minutes of cleaning away from having company over. Because I'm no longer embarrassed or anxious by a nasty looking house, I'm a much more pleasant person to be around and I find that Michael and the kids are more likely to help me with chores. Sometimes even voluntarily. And I get to enjoy my family because they're slovenly ways don't piss me off anymore. Sometimes I worry that I have all to easily accepted my lot in life as she who cleans the entire house; but then I realize that no... I'm just learning how to keep this house nice so I can eventually teach the rest how it's done, and how much more comfortable the house is when it's clean. I'm getting them addicted to a clean comfy cushy house and organized lifestyle, and teaching them that they, too, deserve and can aspire to NOT live in squalor.

So, anyway, yeah, Fly Lady.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Vicki A. Davis said…

    Fly lady has helped and transformed my mother's life and mine. Yes, the website is a little dated and doesn't have an RSS feed (I've e-mailed and asked them for it) but if you go to baby steps or sign up for their e-mail it really helps.

    My Mom loves the e-mail. I love the book. I also read her inspiration the SHE (Sidetracked home executives.) If you judge the flylady by just her homepage I think you're missing the boat!

    The system is a great one!

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    I've been a Flybaby forever. I am still working on routines, but my house is a lot cleaner than it had been. (I used to clean a trail to escape in case of fire through the books, billpaying setup, projects, etc).
    The best thing she did for me is "you can do anything if you know it is only for 15 min" believe it or not this helped when my preemie twins were in the hospital (with my husbands help also, saying "for now, at this moment they are OK, so don't think and worry about what might happen") then her 15 minute mantra kicked in and allowed me to actually take my hubby's advise. (which was also for his own sanity sake!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home